- Assalamualaikum w.b.t. and Good Day
- Dear Dato' / Prof. / Assoc. Prof. / Dr. / Colleagues,
- I am pleased to invite all of you to our weekly IMMB Journal Club session that will be held as follow:
- Title : RADIATION-THERAPY: A BLESSING OR A CURSE?
- Synopsis : Ionizing radiation is widely used as a tool in medicine and dentistry for diagnosis and treatment for various diseases. It is also extensively used in various cancer patients as an effective therapy to cure. However, the numerous side effects of radiation therapy are very crucial for the cancer patient`s survival, especially breast, head and neck, stomach and lung cancer patients. Moreover, if there is any radiation terrorism or accident occurs, we have to be prepared to mitigate the possible tissue damage of the victims. It is very unfortunate that till date that there is no effective mitigator known for effective mitigation against the radiation-inducedvon, Genistein a – a salen manganese SOD-catalase mimetic /antioxidant in radiation induced animal models as simulated.
- These compounds showed very low toxicity. This work is based on the hypothesis that inflammatory cytoki and consequent ROS production play a major role in the development of lung damage. We gave 12 Gy of whole lung X-ray irradiation to SD and Fisher rats and studied for 36 and 48 weeks. We tested their efficacy as protect for radiation-induced DNA damage, pulmonary function improvement, anti-fibrotic action, lipid peroxidation, tokine production and possible drug interaction by crossing over and combination of drugs in our long term study model. We have successfully demonstrated that these two drugs can stand as candidates as effective itigators against radiation-induced tissue damage. We also proposed the possible interaction with reactive oxygen species (ROS) and renin angiotensin mechanism in radiation-induced tissue damage with some new drug cons to discover their roles in possible molecular mechanism of radiation-induced tissue damage. We hat our findings will also benefit the survival and prognosis of cancer patients with radiation therapy.
Presenter : ASSOC. PROF. DR. JAVED MAHMOO
Chairperson : MRS. NORITA SALIM
Date : 30 MARCH 2011 (WEDNESDAY)
Time : 12:30 P.M.
Venue : MEETING ROOM 2, LEVEL 1, INSTITUTE OF MEDICAL MOLECULAR BIOTECHNOLOGY (IMMB), FACULTY OF MEDICINE, UiTM SUNGAI BULOH CAMPUS
All are invited.